Effective date: October 10, 2021
By using or accessing the Platform in any manner, you acknowledge that you accept the practices and policies outlined in this Policy, and you hereby consent that we will collect, use, and share your information in the following ways. If you do not agree to this Policy, please do not access or use the Platform.
The information we collect
How we collect and store information depends on how you access and use the Platform. We collect information in multiple ways including when you provide information directly to us, when you permit third parties to provide information to us, and when we passively collect information from you, such as information collected from your browser or device.
a. Information You Provide Directly to Us
We may collect information that you provide directly to us, such as when:
- You register for an Account on the Platform;
- You use the Platform, such as when you view available Listings, enroll in Childcare Services, or offer Childcare Services;
- You participate in surveys or fill out forms;
- You subscribe to newsletters;
- You register for promotions;
- You transmit User Content to us;
- You request customer support and/or technical assistance; and
- You otherwise communicate with us or with others through the Platform.
The information you provide directly to us may concern you or others and may include, but is not limited to:
- Account Information: We may collect information associated with your creation of an Account, such as your name, email address, phone number, birthdate, address, social security number, driver’s license number, immunization records, and occupation.
- Information Regarding Children: We may collect the name of your child(ren), birth date, and other information regarding your child(ren), including without limitation immunization records and health information.
- Communications: We may collect communications you make on or through the Platform, including communications between you and other users of the Platform.
You are not required to provide us with such information, but certain features of the Platform may not be accessible or available, absent the provision of the requested information.
b. Information From Affiliates and Non-Affiliated Third Parties
We may collect information about you or others through our affiliates or through non-affiliated third parties. For example, to the extent permitted by law, we may, in our sole discretion, ask for and collect supplemental information from third parties, such as information about your credit from a credit bureau, or information to verify your identity or trustworthiness, or for other fraud or safety protection purposes. We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from such third parties and information derived from any other products or services we provide.
Social Networks. We may also allow you to access the Platform through a social networking account, such as Facebook. If you access the Platform through your Facebook account, you may allow us to have access to certain information in your Facebook profile. This may include your name, profile picture, gender, networks, user IDs, list of friends, location, date of birth, email address, photos, videos, people you follow and/or who follow you, and/or your posts or "likes." Social networking sites, such as Facebook, have their own policies for handling your information. For a description of how these sites may use and disclose your information, including any information you make public, please consult the sites' privacy policies. We have no control over how any third-party site uses or discloses the personal information it collects about you.
c. Information We Collect Automatically
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but your browser may allow you to modify your browser settings to decline cookies if you prefer. If you disable cookies, you may be prevented from taking full advantage of the Platform, because the Platform may not function properly. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
Location Information. When you use the Platform, we may collect general location information (such as general location inferred from an IP address). If you install our mobile app, we may ask you to grant us access to your mobile device's geolocation data. If you grant such permission, we may collect information about your precise geolocation, and we may use that information in accordance with this Policy, including to improve the Platform, and providing you with location-based features. If you access the Platform through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer's instructions for further details. If you disable certain functions, you may be unable to use certain parts of the Platform.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use your information for business and commercial purposes, such as the following reasons:
- For the purposes for which you provided it;
- To enable you to use the services available through the Platform, including registering you for an Account;
- To verify your identity and authority to use our Platform;
- For customer support and to respond to your inquiries;
- To communicate with you, including to send you emails about products and services that may interest you;
- For internal record-keeping purposes;
- To analyze and improve the Platform or any other products and services we provide;
- To administer surveys, sweepstakes, promotions, or contests;
- To improve and maintain the Platform and for product development;
- To protect the safety and/or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, members of the public, and/or the Platform;
- With your consent, to contact you by text message regarding certain services or information you have requested;
- To manage and remember your preferences and personalize the Platform;
- To track fees and process billing and payment including sharing with third-party payment gateways and payment service providers in connection with the Platform;
- To comply with our legal obligations or as permitted by law;
- To administer and troubleshoot the Platform;
- For other research and analytical purposes;
- To resolve disputes, or to protect ourselves, members of the public, or other users of the Platform; and
- To enforce any legal terms that govern your use of the Platform.
We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from affiliated and nonaffiliated third parties, and information derived from any other products or services we provide.
We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Platform. We may use de-identified or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes and may also share such data with any third parties at our discretion.
We may, either directly or through third parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, or analyze your communications with other users exchanged via the Platform or as otherwise described in this Policy for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we may scan and analyze messages to prevent fraud or improper actions. We may also scan, review, or analyze messages for research and product development purposes, as well as to debug, improve and expand product offerings. By using the Platform or engaging in off-Platform communications tracked by Otter, you consent that Otter, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through third parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, analyze, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
Online Analytics and Tailored Advertising
We may use third-party web analytics services on the Platform, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the sort of technology described in the “Information We Collect Automatically” section above to help us analyze how users use the Platform, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive. The information collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Platform. We may also use Google Analytics for certain purposes related to advertising, as described in the following section. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on.
b. Tailored Advertising
If you are interested in more information about tailored browser advertising and how you can generally control cookies from being put on your computer to deliver tailored marketing, you may visit the Network Advertising Initiative's Consumer Opt-Out Link and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance's Consumer Opt-Out Link to opt-out of receiving tailored advertising from companies that participate in those programs. To opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, you can visit the Google Ads Settings page. Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Platform, you may still receive advertising content even if you opt out of tailored advertising. In that case, the advertising content will just not be tailored to your interests. Also, we do not control any of the above opt-out links and are not responsible for any choices you make using these mechanisms or the continued availability or accuracy of these mechanisms. If your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or DAA opt-out may no longer be effective. Additional information is available on NAI's and DAA's websites, accessible by the above links.
When using a mobile application you may also receive tailored in-application advertising content. Each operating system-iOS for Apple devices, Android for Android devices, and Windows for Microsoft devices-provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application marketing content. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertising. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
Security of Your Information
Otter implements technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect the information provided via the Platform from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or email transmission is ever fully secure or error free. Therefore, we do not promise and cannot guarantee, and thus you should not expect, that your personal information or communications will not be collected, disclosed and/or used by others. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, keeping your log-in and password private, and not recycling passwords from other websites or accounts. Otter is not responsible for the unauthorized use of your information nor for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords, or for any activity on your Account via unauthorized password activity.
You have certain rights or choices with respect to your information such as:
- Account Information: You may access your Account to access and, in some cases, edit or remove certain information. This may include your (1) name and password; (2) email address; (3) phone number; (4) address; and (5) other user profile information. The information you can view, update, and remove may change as the features of the Platform change. Some of the information in your Account such as your location, phone number, address, email address, and user profile information, may be visible to other user with whom you have Bookings.
- Marketing Communications. You can unsubscribe from marketing emails by following the directions in those emails. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your Account or any services you have requested or received from us.
- Cookies & Analytics: You can opt out of certain cookie-related and analytics processing by following the instructions in this Policy.
California Do-Not-Track Disclosure
Otter is committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our Platform for third party purposes. That is why we have provided links (above) to the NAI opt-out link, the DAA opt-out link, and a Google opt-out link. However, Otter does not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do-Not-Track signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working on Do-Not-Track standards, implementations, and solutions.
Consent to Transfer
Our computer systems are currently based in the United States, so your personal information will be processed by us in the United States, where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in other parts of the world. By using the Platform, you agree to this Policy and you consent to the transfer of all such information to the United States, which may not offer a level of protection equivalent to that required in the European Union or certain other countries, and to the processing of that information as described in this Policy.
We may change this Policy to reflect changes in the law, our information practices, or the features of the Platform. The Policy will indicate the date of the most recent update. If we make a material change to the Policy, you will be provided with appropriate notice in accordance with legal requirements. By continuing to use the Platform, you are confirming that you have read and understood the latest version of this Policy.